My name is Kayla, I'm 22, I went to school in Boston and now I work on a TV show in LA. Life is cool and weird and these are some things I like!
Why We Don’t Want Men to Vote - Alice Duer Miller, 1915
This piece was written as a tongue-in-cheek reaction to anti-suffragists’ arguments against women being able to vote. The anti-suffragists had reasons such as women not being physically strong enough to make it to the voting booths, and also, they might hide extra ballots in their “voluminous sleeves”.
Why We Don’t Want Men to Vote
- Because man’s place is in the army.
- Because no really manly man wants to settle any question otherwise than by fighting about it.
- Because if men should adopt peaceable methods women will no longer look up to them.
- Because men will lose their charm if they step out of their natural sphere and interest themselves in other matters than feats of arms, uniforms, and drums.
- Because men are too emotional to vote. Their conduct at baseball games and political conventions shows this, while their innate tendency to appeal to force renders them unfit for government.